Australian Open 2018: Caroline Wozniacki beats Simona Halep to win first Grand Slam title
Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki beat Romanian Simona Halep 7-6 3-6 6-4 to win the 2018 Australian Open. This was Caroline’s first Grand Slam title and by winning the match it means that she will take over Simona Halep’s ranking on Monday and become World No.1.
Caroline has been runner-up twice at the US Open, but had no Grand Slam title until today.
She is the first ever Danish woman to win a Grand Slam singles title.
Halep, too was aiming to win her first Grand Slam title after coming runner-up in two French Open finals.
After the match she said "Of course I am sad, I couldn't win today but Caroline was better than me, and for sure I will fight, I have many years to go. And hopefully I will face another challenge like this today".
I've just won the 2018 Australian Open
- Umpire was Marijana Veljovic (Serbian).
- Caroline Wozniacki went 3-0 up in the first set.
- During the 5th game in the second set Simona Halep asked the chair umpire (Marijana Veljovic) to see the physio. The physio and a doctor came on to treat Halep as she was feeling dizzy. They checked her heart rate and blood pressure.
- The heat rule was in for this match.
- The temperature was 32 degrees. (Approximately). The humidity was around 60% (According to the Eurosport commentators).
- At the end of the second set, both players had a 10 minute break due to the heat rule.
- During the third set Caroline Wozniacki, also asked the chair umpire to send on the physio. (Due to a knee problem).
- The match time was 2 hours and 49 minutes.
- Aces - 2
- Double faults - 6
- Winners - 25
- Unforced errors - 28
- Break points converted - 5/14
- Total points won - 110
- Aces - 6
- Double faults - 1
- Winners - 40
- Unforced errors - 47
- Break points converted - 5/12
- Total points won - 108
There was a massive sign of respect after the match, with Caroline and Simona having a nice hug at the net. (Great to see).
So many tennis players, legends of the game and others took to social media to congratulate Caroline on her victory, they also had a huge mark of respect for Simona, on what was a magnificent tournament for her also, which obviously included this amazing final. Did I mention that this final was amazing? Oh yeah I did - it was amazing.
Here are some of the social media post that flooded in -
@carowozniacki has won her first ever Grand Slam. Outlasts Halep 7-6(2), 3-6, 6-4 in an #AusOpen epic. Followed by a link to their website. WTA. (Women's Tennis Association). (Via Twitter).
I got too nervous to watch but woke up to @CaroWozniacki new number one and aussie open champ. So awesome. So happy. Are those tears? Yup they are. "Tears emoji" from a year ago to today I'm so proud my friend so proud. Literally can't even sleep now. Serena Williams. (Via Twitter).
What a final !!!!! Congrats @CaroWozniacki !!! Emoji's "clapping hands x 5". Donna Vekic. (Via Twitter).
What a stunning advert for the women's game! See more great women in action @EdgbastonPriory in #BirminghamClassic this summer. Tomorrow is your last chance to secure your tickets at 2017 prices. Edgbaston Priory Club, Birmingham, UK. (Via Twitter).
I'm so incredibly proud to be part of women's tennis in this day and age. What a tournament for both @ CaroWozniacki and @simona_Halep. Emoji "clapping hands". @WTA @AustralianOpen. Johanna Konta. (Via Twitter).
I think one of the best women's final I ever seen. Talking about incredible fighters on the court tonight. I am so sad one had to lose because they both were beyond AMAZING!!! @Simona_Halep @CaroWozniacki @AustralianOpen @EurosportFrance #AusOpen #Wozniacki #Halep. Marion Bartoli. (Via Twitter).
Did someone cut an onion, Naomi Broady. (Via Twitter). 1/2
Heart breaks for Simona but so so happy for Caroline! What a fitting final to finish what was such an incredible fortnight of women’s tennis! Naomi Broady. (Via Twitter). 2/2
I was flying for the final and it sounds like I missed a great one! Congratulations @CaroWozniacki on your first Grand Slam and bad luck @Simona_Halep- you are both champions! See you soon. Petra Kvitova. (Via Twitter).
Congratulations @CaroWozniacki - welcome to the Club. Rod Laver. (Via Twitter).
Congrats @CaroWozniacki well done followed by 3 Ok emoji's. Victoria Azarenka. (Via Twitter).
Maiden Grand Slam
Caroline Wozniacki is the No.1 player in the World.
- Caroline, lying on the floor after the match - Click here to view image >.
- Caroline and Dad, Piotr had a photograph taken with the Daphne Akhurst Trophy in the locker room after she won the ladies singles title.
- Caroline was crying with tears of joy after the match. She said "She dreamed of this moment all her life".
- Caroline thanked David Lee during her speech. She said “She was a nervous wreck before the match however her fiance managed to calm her down”.
- Good times never seemed so good. Fans sing "Sweet Caroline" - Click here to watch video.
- Billie Jean King presents Simona Halep with her runners-up trophy. Followed by a speech from Simona. Click here to watch the video >.
- Caroline Wozniacki vs Simona Halep match highlights, to watch click here >.
- Click here to find out a little more about today's women's tennis chair umpire Marijana Veljovic
You may also like
- Caroline dancing during tennis exhibition
- Dominika Cibulkova and Caroline Wozniacki dancing
- Caroline's failed prank on Maria Sharapova
- Caroline Wozniacki poses in swimsuit for Sports Illustrated 2017
Taking a moment to hug 'Daphne'